Serenity

Serenity
Close to home

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Catawba River Incident...

Took a (well-deserved) day off from work to decompress and spend some time on the water. It was a Thursday morning and I knew there wouldn't be many people on the water. Ahhh serenity!
I got up early, loaded the kayak in the truck, stopped for some bait at the local gas station and got to Copperhead Island at 07:33. Pulled down to the landing and the gates were closed. I found out later that due to low water levels and some damaged props, County parks & rec had to close access to the landings. In a kayak, there are no issues. Since the gates were closed, I had to carry the kayak a little further but I wasn't going to let that end my expedition before it started.
At 07:44 (after 3 trips to the truck) I made it into the water. I paddled deep into one of my favorite coves, baited my hook, and casted into the depths. As I was enjoying the peace & quiet, I leaned back and watched the tip of my rod - waiting for the all-familiar bounce. I guess it had been about 5 or 6 minutes when there was a tug at the line. I lifted the rod in expectation of the strike. Just as the rod started bouncing, it hit me. No, I mean it REALLY hit me. A strong "thud" in my left shoulder sent a shock wave through my entire body and I thought I had been shot! I quickly landed & released the fish, paddled out of the cove - looking for the culprit and checking my shoulder for blood. As I exited the cove (in reverse) I saw a few large splashes in the water and thought maybe someone was throwing rocks at me. It wasn't until I had gotten completely out of the cove that I realized where the shot came from. I had come to rest under a walnut tree and had made myself the target of playful squirrel bombardiers.
I only caught 2 fish that day, but a lifetime of laughs. Watch for squirrels in goggles and bomber jackets!
~H2~

No comments:

Post a Comment